Advancing Associations

Swiss Golf Sport Continues to Invest and Expand its Boundaries

7th Aug 2019

EDGA Player profiles – Daphne Van Houten

5th Aug 2019

Royal Portrush Golf Club Renews Sustainability Distinction Ahead of The Open

24th Jul 2019

The Evian Championship and Rolex Bolster Women’s Golf

23rd Jul 2019

love.golf Founder Announces Research Project on Female Participation

23rd Jul 2019

Step Towards a Healthier Future at The Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open

10th Jul 2019

Free Coaching for Spectators and a Focus On Inclusive Golf at Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open

9th Jul 2019

Training Champions With ETPI – Andrea Pavan

8th Jul 2019

Disabled Golf Champions Aim to Inspire Thousands of New Players

5th Jul 2019

EDGA Player profiles – Johan Kammerstad

2nd Jul 2019

Building a Better Future for Your Public Golf Course

1st Jul 2019

PING signs Viktor Hovland, former world #1 amateur

20th Jun 2019

Golf Pride Wins Grip Count and the 2019 U.S. Open Championship at Pebble Beach

18th Jun 2019

Golf Escapes to Host Inaugural Marbella Pro-Am

14th Jun 2019

Reasons to Celebrate the Health of Golf…

22nd May 2019

“No one moves the needle quite like Augusta…” | Kevin Flynn

16th May 2019

2018 Ryder Cup Performance Team – Behind the Scenes

16th May 2019

Why Coaching Trips Can Be a Money-Spinner for PGA Professionals

13th May 2019

What Should Golfers Do In the Gym?

15th Apr 2019

PODCAST SPECIAL: #GolfHealthWeek – Dr Roger Hawkes & Dr Andrew Murray, Golf & Health Project

15th Apr 2019
load more

Will A Computer Be Taking Your Future Job?2 min read

Coaching4CareersAuthor: Coaching4Careers


Posted on: 10th Jan 2016

At the start of each brand new year it’s always a good idea to do a bit of personal SWOT analysis. But have you really considered the threat of technology? Are your strengths going to future-proof your career? Will you need to work on your weaknesses to find a role within a world of automation?

It’s more than 30 years since Time magazine famously named the computer as its ‘Man of the Year’. Our square-faced companions have been encroaching further into our working lives ever since.

Technological unemployment, as it’s known, has long been key issue in the word’s industrialised nations. Between 1900 and 2000 the percentage of Americans employed in agriculture decreased from 41% to just 2%, while the number of US manufacturing workers has fallen by two thirds since World War II.

American employees are by no means alone in their predicament: according to a joint study by Oxford University and Deloitte, about 35% of UK jobs are at high risk of being taken over by computers during the next 20 years. The study ranked around 400 professions against a series of key skills, including social perceptiveness, negotiation and persuasion, to see which were most under threat.

The roles of financial officer, bookkeeper and legal secretary came top, with a 97-99% risk of being automated over the next two decades. Meanwhile, social workers, teachers and therapists can rest easy, with the chance of these roles being ceded to a machine calculated at around 1% or less.

Most roles fall between these two extremes, but the good news here is that there are plenty of ways you can future-proof your career against the inexorable march of the machines.

To start with, you can position yourself in an industry where there is expansion and therefore less need for cost-cutting and automation. Areas such as health and nutrition, sustainability and clean energy are likely to be important sources of job creation going forward.

You should also think about the kind of soft skills you need to be developing alongside your core professional competencies. Think problem-solving, adaptability, and communication, in particular, listening and negotiation skills.

Then of course there is the ‘can’t beat ’em, join ’em’ argument: as long as there’s technology, there will be a need for people who can harness and interpret that technology. It’s never too late to start picking up basic skills in areas such as coding and website design. Codeacademy.com is just one of a number of free, online platforms that can help get you started.

As history has shown us, professions and entire industries will come and go over time. However, by embracing this technological shift and maintaining a broad skill set, you can stay one step ahead of the curve.


This content appears courtesy of Abintegro, experts in career management, transition technology & e-learning for today’s modern, mobile and technology-savvy workforce – Find out more at www.abintegro.com

Credit: Bcdwire; NPR; BBC; HuffingtonPost

Brain vector designed by Freepik

Coaching4CareersAuthor: Coaching4Careers
Read more by

Coaching4Careers offer personal and career management to meet your needs.  Whether you’re an individual or part of an organisation, you can have access to our services which are tailored to suit your needs. You can then decide whether to talk face to face, online or by telephone.

For your free career/development health check or to run our career diagnostic tool, simply visit our website: www.coaching4careers.co.uk, or click the button below…

Click Here to Request Your Free Career/Development Health Check