Are you ready to start the New Year? Here are three critical acts you should do this week to prepare.
The New Year is here and offers the promise of great things to come and there’s always time to get ready for the 2014 adventure ahead.
Here are three actions critical to a promising new beginning.
Many people will push right into the New Year with no respect or consideration for the last 365 days. No doubt, victories were had, mistakes were made, relationships came and went and, most importantly, lessons were learned. Take time to consciously reflect upon the major incidents of 2013. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What did I do to most contribute to my successes?
- What did I do to most contribute to my failures?
- What would I do differently given the same set of circumstances?
- Who were the people worthy of my time and effort?
- With whom did I spend time where I received no value?
- In what ways did I not measure up to my potential?
- What will I most fondly remember about 2013?
- For what will I be rightly proud?
Nobody is perfect. Most try their best to be useful, pleasant and to contribute in a positive way. But we are all human beings, and with humanity come failings, flaws, selfishness, greed and discontent. The New Year is a time to recognise our shortcomings and acknowledge our own accountability in the parts of our experience that leave us unsatisfied and unkind to those around us. Ask yourself the following questions and take appropriate action.
- What are the areas I need to improve?
- Who have I hurt and how can I rectify the situation?
- Who and what are truly important and worthy of my dedicated attention in 2014?
Clearing your mind and heart of weight helps give you energy and allows you to focus on the path ahead. This is the time to make commitments you will keep. No empty promises. Be the person you truly wish to be and let this be the year you begin that journey. My own journey has brought great joy and gratification from the many people around me who continue to inspire and amaze me. Go into this New Year with hope and wonder. Ask these questions of the world:
- Who will be my inspiration this year?
- What new adventures are ahead?
- Where are the new lessons to learn?
- How will I be able to contribute in a significant manner?