- Club/Employer Name: Churston Golf Club
- Club/Employer Website: churstongolf.com
- Job Title: Director of Golf
- Location: Torbay, Devon, UK
- Job Type: Permanent
- Salary: £36-45K
Why you will love working for us?
- We have a well maintained parkland course with seaside views in Torbay, Devon.
- We have a well situated clubhouse with a bar and function area.
- A healthy membership level.
- Working with a professional and forward thinking Board of Directors/committee.
- Competitive annual salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
- Discretionary annual pay review.
- Pension scheme offered after successful probation.
- Free Golf Membership.
- On-site parking.
To operate at both a tactical and strategic level, managing and continuously developing all aspects of the golf business. This involves providing a clear vision for its strategic direction, whilst taking personal responsibility for identifying additional sales and marketing opportunities. Ensuring customer service excellence is consistently delivered, and revenues and profitability are maximised.
Key Areas of Management
- Golf course maintenance and development
- Food and beverage operations
- Golf specific sales and marketing
- Facility’s administration
- Overall club profitability
To provide a clear vision of where the golf business is going and the route it will need to follow in order to get there. Working closely with all personnel within the organisation to ensure that the business development strategy for golf operations is communicated effectively. To prepare and regularly review the business plan for golf operations with the Chairman, Directors and staff. To influence and positively manage the development of our organisational culture.
- To manage projects and monitor and evaluate their success.
- To produce regular reports on financial performance, stock control, utilisation of facilities, sales and marketing activity, and human resources.
- To continuously review and develop standard operating procedures for each area of the golf business to ensure maximum customer satisfaction whilst maximising revenue and profitability.
- To oversee the care and maintenance of all the physical assets, inventory and resources of the golf facility.
- To develop and implement Health and Safety procedures that comply with up-to-date legislation, are clearly communicated, effectively monitored and regularly reviewed.
- To be ultimately responsible for the performance of the golf services and condition of the golf course. To co-ordinate plans with the Food and Beverage section for food and beverage needs of all golf functions.
- To communicate regularly and effectively with individuals, managers and teams within the organisation.
- To provide effective leadership for the golf operations team, giving direction to individual managers and motivating and supporting them to achieve the organisation’s vision and objectives.
- To produce staffing and succession plans for all aspects of golf operations, identifying workforce requirements needed to achieve the organisation’s current and future objectives.
- To recruit, induct, monitor and develop members of the golf operations management team and complete regular performance reviews including Head Professional, Head Greenkeeper, Head Teaching Professional or other.
- To ensure that all members of the golf operations management team have appropriate opportunities to develop skills, knowledge and experience to enhance their performance.
- To develop, deliver and monitor learning and development activities for the management team and to promote In-house training, PGA Training, further education and CPD.
- To prepare capital expense budgets to support achievement of objectives.
- To establish, monitor and analyse operating budgets and take prompt corrective action to address variances, ensuring each operating area is maximising efficiency and profitability.
- To achieve revenue and contribution targets and identified KPIs for each aspect of golf operations.
Marketing and Customer Service
- To liaise with other senior managers to develop a coordinated sales and marketing strategy for the facility that links to corporate strategy and covers all areas of golf operations.
- To identify and develop innovative programmes for all customer segments including tournaments, social events, external promotions.
- To ensure that all promotional activity is properly structured, communicated and delivered.
- To establish, implement and review effective marketing strategies that take into account the expectations and needs of different customer groups.
- To identify and develop value added products and services to enhance the customer experience.
- To stimulate innovation, encouraging staff to think outside of the box and put forward new ideas.
- To ensure that all teams in the golf business consistently deliver excellent customer service, thereby achieving maximum customer satisfaction. To communicate effectively with external organisations, individuals and agencies.
People focused: Leader, able to influence, motivator, team builder, coaching and mentoring style, ‘no problem’ mentality, positive, strong interpersonal skills.
Business acumen: Results orientated, decisive, plans and prioritises, willing and able to deliver change, experienced and credible in the industry, able to work at both strategic and tactical level, in touch with current trends/issues.
You will be customer focused, a good time manager, self-motivated, creative, thinks outside the box, flexible, effective, natural communicator, strong presentation skills, logical thinker, pays attention to detail, uses initiative, confident and prepared to challenge and to be energetic.
- Class A member of PGA.
- Maintain active Membership in appropriate professional organisations.
- Maintain a high level of appropriate Personal and Professional development (CPD) reflective of current and/or future role responsibilities.
- An Enhanced CRB check.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA); and/or minimum 3 years’ experience as a Golf Manager (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- PGA Director of Golf (or working towards).
Understanding of how the operation of each of the following areas can impact on the golf business:
- Golf course maintenance (e.g. green keeping / basic principles of golf course agronomy)
- Food and beverage operation (e.g. Bar, restaurant/snack bar, party/group catering)
- Corporate functions / events experience (e.g. Golf days, tournaments)
- Practice/teaching facilities (e.g. driving Range, teaching academy, individual/group coaching)
- Golf Club administration (e.g. membership, competitions, handicaps)
- Experience of yield management, budgeting, revenue forecasting, capital expenditure, stock management, marketing plans.
- Experience of working with sponsors.
- IT literate with experience of relevant software applications (PC and/or Mac) and computerised POS, Management systems/data storage and tee time systems.
- Experienced in writing business reports.
Where to Apply
To apply please send your CV/resume and a covering letter to email@example.com.